TURMERIC FISH WITH KIMCHI & NOODLESDec 12, 2018
When people think of skin health, it’s usually foods like smoothies and green drinks that come to mind. I know so many people who think doing some kind of juice detox will improve the look of their skin. Although there may be some benefit…there are lots of ways to support your skin health with food that don’t involve a kale smoothie. (Although we do love Kale)
This fish recipe with turmeric and kimchi contains tons of nutrients that are vital for skin health including:
Vitamin A (from the fish): Vitamin A is well known for its effective skin treatment. It is responsible for cell turnover and can play a large role in preventing acne from developing.
Omega 3 fatty acids (from this fish): High levels of omega-3 fatty acids decrease inflammation system wide, and can help support the healing of skin issues like acne, psoriasis, and rosacea.
Sulfur (from the asparagus): Sulfur is important for synthesizing collagen, and collagen gives the skin its structure and strength. Everyone is into collagen right now for skin health because a lack of collagen is a cause of wrinkles as we age, but not many people know dietary sulfur can aid in the production of collagen!
Turmeric: Known well now for its anti-inflammatory benefits, turmeric can help reduce inflammation system wide, this include our skin!
Probiotics: (From the kimchi): The ‘skin-gut- axis’ is now a well-researched connection in our body, and having good gut health is linked to reducing inflammation, even in our skin!
Turmeric Fish with Kimchi & Asparagus
- 2 teaspoons ground turmeric
- ½ small red or red chile, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons neutral oil, divided
- ¾ pound boneless, skinless cod, cut into 2-inch pieces
- Kosher salt, freshly ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 4 scallions, sliced finely
- ¼ cup roasted, skin-on peanuts, coarsely crushed
- Rice/Noodle: Your choice for the type of noodle (we like better than noodles as a low carb option) and cook according to package
For the fish:
- In a wide bowl, mix 2 tbsp. of oil, turmeric and salt and pepper with a fork or spatula unless it is completely blended together into a thin paste
- Gently place each piece of fish into the mixture until lightly coated on both side and set aside
- Heat the last tbsp. of oil in a medium – large non-stick pan over medium heat
- Add red chili to oil to lightly cook (about 2 minutes)
- Once heated, add the fish to the pan turnover over until fish is cooked through
For the Asparagus:
- Lightly steam the asparagus until just cooked through (4 – 5 minutes)
- Once cooked, slice into halves and coat in olive oil salt and pepper
Put it together:
- Once you’ve cooked the fish and noodles and asparagus, place the fish on a bed of your noodles with the asparagus on the side.
- Add the crushed peanuts, scallions and lime juice to the fish
- Serve with a side of kimchi